- Classroom Climate
Classroom Climate and Student Discourse
How can teachers set the stage for success prior to using "academically productive talk" with Word Generation?
Cathy O'Connor comments:
• Establishing the rules for respectful discourse
• Establishing the conditions for equitable participation
How can teachers establish these conditions?
• Have clear rules about turn-taking
• Attend to patterns of turn allocation
• Encourage students who tend to avoid talk
• Model turn-taking practices that support different kinds of participation
Establishing this type of discourse-intensive classroom takes serious commitment from the teacher.