- Sample Weekly
Word Generation is a novel approach to vocabulary teaching and academic language development that comprises 15-minute daily activities organized in a five-day cycle. Day 1 - LAUNCH (English Teacher)
- Introduction of passage, target words, and a controversial topic that can support discussion and debate
- Comprehension questions to guide the class in checking understanding of the passage and to invite students to tap into their personal beliefs about the week's topic
- Focus Word Chart
Day 2 - MICRO EXPERIMENT (Science Teacher)
- Science-related background information gives students more practice using different forms of the words.
- Fictional experiments reinforce scientific thinking.
- Students interpret data and draw conclusions.
Day 3 - WORD PROBLEM (Math Teacher)
- Mathematics problems similar to standardized test items
- Use of some of the target words in math context
- Problem is related to weekly topic
Day 4 - DEBATE (Social Studies Teacher)
- Use of academically productive talk to argue positions
- Identification of reasons and evidence
- Development of positions on issues
Day 5 - ESSAY WRITING (English Teacher)
- Writing Activity: Taking a Stand
- Prompt provided to inspire persuasive essay
- Opportunity to use target words in writing
- Evidence and reasoning included in essays in order to support position