Supporting Effective Implementation
- Word Generation is designed as a whole-school program. School leadership must be sure to communicate with the entire school community clearly in advance of implementation.
- Be sure that teachers in content-areas other than English understand that they also have a crucial role in developing academic language when working with students.
- Remind teachers that this program calls on them to invest only a few minutes once a week for most teachers and twice a week for English teachers.
- Word Generation is a flexible program. It need not follow the sequence as printed in the student and teacher materials.
- Develop a plan and a schedule school-wide so that students and teachers are prepared to continue the Word Generation unit throughout the week without interuption.
- Student materials can be bound into a book that students carry or distributed as weekly unit packets (or many other ways). Schools should decide as a faculty what the approach will be for materials.
- Teachers should preview the materials and be aware that some communities may find some of the topic highly controversial.
- What about short weeks? Some schools compress the units and others skip Word Generation during short weeks. SERP is also developing some special review unit for short weeks.